We all are passing through a medical emergency, which is due to Covid 19. We all should wear face masks, which is the only way to keep your self protected from this Coronavirus. If you are suffering from this coronavirus disease, you should also wear a face mask so that you can protect others.
Wearing a face mask in public is recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and WHO.
Many types of face masks are there in the market which you can buy. But if you want to make a mask, then here is a complete guide.
Don’t worry if you lack sewing skills. This how to make a mask guide is for all people.
Requirements to make a face mask at home
- Fabric (You take it from an old t-shirt or other cloth)
- Rubber bands or something to tie cloths
- Ruler or something with you can take measurement
We follow this guideline from the CDC website to make this mask.
Step by Step Guide to Make a Mask Out of Fabric
Step 1: Take an old T-shirt and cut it from the bottom in rectangle shape. Make sure to take measurements up to 7-8 inches. Now remove that rectangle part.
Step 2: Now put it on a flat surface and then fold it from the bottom to middle and top to middle.
Step 3: Fold it again like a step 2.
Step 4: Now attach a rubber band or hair tie on the left and right side, 2 inches away from the end.
Step 5: Now your mask is ready to wear.
You can take stitching for a rubber band if you want to. This is a simple homemade DIY mask. It will protect you for sure.
Face mask with built-in strings
IF you want a face mask with built-in strings, you have to modify the above steps.
Follow step 1 and cut the rectangular part from your t-shirt.
Step 2: Cut some part from the left and right side as shown in the below image.
Now you have strings on both sides. You don’t need a rubber band.
How to put on and take off a face mask
Make sure that your hands are clean. Before touching a mask, wash your hands with soap and water for 15-20 seconds.
Avoid touching fabrics of the mask.
When taking the mask off:
- First, wash your hands and then use the straps or rubber band to remove your mask. Do not touch the fabric.
- Drop the mask to waste. Do not touch your eyes and nose. Again wash your hands.
- If you are using this homemade mask, then it is washable and reusable. But make sure to wash it regularly with good detergent powder. Let it dry.
- Keep 2 masks at least so that you can wear them alternatively.
- Cover your nose and mouth completely.
- Do not take off your mask in public.
- Also when you wear it, do not touch it.
The bottom line
We all are facing this coronavirus situation. It is all around the world. We can’t do anything except staying at home. But if you want to go outside, wear a mask.
With a mask, we can control the spread of the virus.
Maintain social distance and try to avoid touching your eyes, mouth, and nose.
Keep washing your hands.